Sunday, September 09, 2007

Carnival Without A Home

Yes folks I am still alive. seems like I only write these days when a carnival issue is at hand.
Anyway Broward Carnival (South Florida) is about 3 weeks away, it is the premier West Indian event is South Florida now surpassing even the original Miami Carnival in both size and entertainment value.
Problem; the event is now homeless. The official launch is tomorrow Sep 9th with Kiddies Carnival on Sep 30th and the big jump-up on Sunday Oct 7th. It was supposed to be held at a park in Miramar this year but at the last minute it seems as if the political powers that control that Miami suburb have have suddenly had a change of heart. Talk of too much garbage, too many people, too much traffic seems to have prevailed. This is quite a big deal down south, the Miami Herald has carried an article on the matter everyday since Thursday. Somehow I get the impression that the paper is elated about the carnival being put out. Maybe I am reading too much into the articles. Here is the latest.
The Kiddies Carnival is safe as it will be a much smaller event held at a park in downtown Fort Lauderdale. But the Oct 7th jump-up is questionable at this point. Maybe the Caribbean carnival model is just not suited for American cities; Atlanta has location problems almost every year, New York always has issues with the NYPD and non-West Indian vendors. Only Toronto seems to have mastered the carnival in the city thing north of Havana, and of course they are not an American city.
Oh well I really hope it comes off I am so looking forward to shooting the pictures.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to seeo that you are still alive and kicking!

I hope everything works out for the carnival and that you get some great shots.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Deelze said...

Hey, just dropping by to let ya know I'm back around.

It's me Bajanqueen....I hope things are good with you and family.

Anyway drop by sometime and see me! :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Abeni said...

Take some shots of men toooo

9:16 PM  
Blogger jess said...

hello! my name is jess and i'm a researcher of language at the university of texas at austin. i'm really interested in your insights on language, especially as a jamaican living in the states. if you would be willing to answer a few questions in a brief survey, please write me at jessicawhite@mail.utexas.edu.

thanks!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home