Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Going to JA & Puerto Rico

Well its down to Kingston tomorrow for me and the fam. I was there last year, but this the first time I will actually be visiting WITH the wife in tow. Yikes!
Tried in vain to get a free car to drive and had to settle with a bandoolo rental. Don't know how I am going to spot the bredda at the airport though because we have never seen each other and him seh him nah whole up any sign. I will probably have to beg a call when I reach down and try to link up that way. I have my bredrin coming to meet me too just in case that falls thru. I hate being stranded at that airport! Worse with wife and pickney in tow.
Hope to get in some decent photography as this will be the first trip with the DSLR. I know I will get lots of shots with old friends as we are going to a neighbourhood reunion ting, but I want some of what I call "Real Jamaica" also. Come to think of it I have been so preoccupied with photographing people for money up here that I have hardly done any artistic shots. Just a few when I first got the camera in December. Took some in Puerto Rico and Antigua that turned out pretty decent though.

Speakin of PR, do you know that they are actually still debating what status they want for the near future?? Dem mad or what?? Dem nuh know how fi enjoy freeness?? They are still debating, statehood, independence, or the status quo (colony). If they went for statehood they would have to pay taxes and earn their own way. Right know they have less than 50 % of the earning capacity of the poorest state in the union, Mississippi, so that would be disasterous. they would also get to vote in preseidential elections, but that would really amount to just one electorial vote for the island out of over 200 in total.
Independence; they need to spend a month in Ja and then rethink that.
Status quo; okay so you can't vote and you have no real identity, BUT you have free room and board, excellent freeways and highways, a metro subway system, 1st class airport, all the consumer goods you could ever desire, etc, etc. (and even your own flag). In this 2006, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, it is not nice outa street on your own.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ratid mi yute, yuh miss they bloggers linkup by the skin of your teeth!!! We had the linkup the same day you came down man.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Mad Bull said...

>> "... it is not nice outa street on your own."
This would be funny if it weren't true... ;-)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Yamfoot said...

happy time in jamaica.

and oh, i agree with you that Diana king is the best female juamaican vocalist. i knew her before she was famous. she used to sing at the Pegasus sunday night barbeque. nice friendly girl.
i have two of her albums.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home