Thursday, July 06, 2006

Gi We A Break Nuh!!

Its the night of July 4th, I am taking my one pickney, my 8 yr old daughter out to see some fireworks, that great U.S. independence tradition. We normally go and see the Stone Mountain Park display every year as the park is 2 minutes from my house and their fireworks (at least for the 4th) are really fantastic.
Now we don't actually drive into the park (its a couple thousand acres, huge), we go to a Target (department store) parking lot which is just next door to the park and pretty close to where they set off the fireworks, as there is usually a traffic jam to just get into the park on any holiday from early a morning. Now you have to understand this Target parking lot thing has become quite the tradition for most of us folk that live close to the park. Therefore the lot is packed to the gills with cars, people, loud music, lawn chairs, blankets, kids, dogs, etc.
Now naturally once the lot got full people start to park on the side of the road, not on the road (a busy 4 lane road) but all for wheels off the road and on the grass and sidewalk. Imagine as soon as the fireworks start de dyam cops dem come with dem power hungry self a threaten to tow all cars parked on the side of the road! Nobody is blocking traffic! My car and at least 30 others all parked OFF the road, not troubling nobody. Yes we were straddling the sidewalk, but that is no big deal, the sidewalk is just for style as nobody ever walks anywhere in Atlanta, worse the suburbs like Stone Mountain. Nobody ever uses that sidewalk or even missed it for one nano-second! Yet de dyam cop dem come with loudspeaker, interupting the good fireworks just to remind us that they are still in charge. Now don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the men in blue (they are saints compared to those in JA!), but a man fi know when to stop or when we have reached "too much" - cop or not.
I never did and had no intention of moving my car. Afta mi a nu idiat. No tow truck in sight, just two fool a drive up and down shouting on their loud speakers. Most of the crowd were immigrants just like myself trying to appreciate a little American culture. Who knows, maybe that would have even brought me one step closer to deciding to become a citizen had they not tried to spoil it for us. The sad thing is that it totally distracted my daughter who constantly asked me if I was absolutely sure that they weren't going to get my car. We have just a handful of things that we traditionally do alone together with no wifey around, and I kind of look forward to just me and her hanging out together to have a good father and daughter time. After all when I am old and in the rocking chair those are the times I will look back on and smile about.
Well I guess that is one less smile for me and one more reason why my daughter had better not ever date or marry a cop.

8 Comments:

Blogger Abeni said...

So they towed it?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Campfyah said...

De cops dem did just vex dem haffi wuk pun de 4th. Such a drag for yuh daughter and de other children tuh spoil dem fire works.....

9:45 AM  
Blogger De Immigrant said...

No Abeni, I didn't see them tow any cars, but I think some people got ticketed.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess dem did just want fi watch the fireworks too, insteat of patroling on the holiday.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Mad Bull said...

Fyah bun pon de Babylon dem! Hey, I been to ATL a few times... I stayed in Powers Ferry, I think it was called... Never went to that park, but I heard of it. I have visited Savannah too... Imagine, when I was there I went into a store where the people were trying to tell me that Bob Marley came from Savannah! Can you believe it? Anyway, despite the fact that some wicked liars live deh, I love Georgia. I have always said that if I lived in the U.S., it would be in the Ft. Lauderdale / Tampa region (for family/bredrin reasons) or in Georgia because of how the place nice.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Mad Bull said...

You know where I liked in ATL to? The Gold Club! Whew!!! What an exciting place... pity it get lock dung.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Gela said...

Police men annoyed because they couldn't watch fireworks in peace and decided that since they weren't having a good time, nobody else will. A wha do dem thou eh?

4:12 PM  
Blogger De Immigrant said...

MB, next time you are in town try the Cheetah Lounge! Mek Gold Club look like a joke!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home