Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Jr Gong @ the Vibes Awards

Anybody catch Damien Marley’s performance on the Vibe Awards earlier tonite on UPN? Fairly decent rendition of his hit "Welcome to Jamrock", his backing band was tight, his vocals were on target. One factor stood starkly out though; This one-drop reggae song did not quite fit in with the vibes of what was basically a Hip-Hop awards show. Yes it was a fairly well known hit in African American (I hate that term!!) circles, and yes half the audience was sort of dancing to the reggae music, but the other half had a look of "What the hell is this?".
I’m sorry they didn’t, or couldn’t, pull on Sean Paul for the show. Hip-Hop and Dancehall are much closer cousins and obviously would have fit in quite well together. Don’t get me wrong, I was glad to see Junior Gong get the national exposure, I have nuff respek for him and especially for the real talent behind him, Stephen Marley. Damien needs the exposure a lot more than Sean, but the one-drop just did not fit in, didn’t sit right, round object in a square hole. He had one Bobo Dread behind him constantly prancing and waving an Ites, Green and Gold flag as is now common on the Jamaican stage, and about three dready looking types just standing stationery wrinching up dem screw face, looking as vex as possible. That I know most of the audience just did not get.
Good performance still, just on the wrong stage.

4 Comments:

Blogger De Immigrant said...

Dr D; Worst ting someone can do here is refer to me as an African American, I am none of the above. What happen to de good old term "black man"? Give Gong a chance still, he has really improved over the past few years, and at least he is not trying to just imitate his father.

Dee; It must come on again.

Sunshine; I am also quite dissapointed in 95% of what is supposed to be dancehall now.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Deelze said...

I saw it and I agree with you as well, it was not the time or place....for his performance.

I was glad he got recognition, cause he really deserved it.

~Smooches~

11:57 PM  
Blogger Scarletizm said...

Well I don't watch tv anymore. But I can say this... I don't know what's up with everyone liking Sean Paul... his music sucks.

But I'm loving Damien's music.

And as for you not liking 'African American'... I don't like any of the names used to classify blacks so I just use whatever. Since I like none of them. I mean I would go out and make up my own but then I'd have to explain myself to everyone.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Mad Bull said...

I like Jr. Gong. He is good. I like Sean Paul's music too, tho it is filled with the same crap everyone else is putting out, it sounds good.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home